Wednesday is sort of a gloomy day. We are in the middle of the week but still have two days (or three, since it’s morning) left to go before the weekend. And after studying hard for the past two days, we have to keep studying hard for another three days (and probably over the weekend too, but it’s easy to trick yourself into thinking that won’t happen). Personally, I am ready to sleep in for a day, or just stay in bed until noon- but that can’t happen, since it’s Wednesday. Plus, the Netherlands is starting to slip into fall which means long, gray days without the sun ever coming into sight.
Luckily, there is hope for Wednesday. It can be revived! In just a few simple steps:
1) Eat dark chocolate with your coffee in the morning… Just enough so you have that rich taste in your mouth and start to think “life is good”
2) Go for a run. Maybe for some people this is torture, but I promise, once you’re done you’ll feel better. Or try one of the workouts at UM sport. Personally, I have my eye on the Wu Shu class. Who couldn’t benefit from some intense martial arts training?
3) Cook a nice meal for yourself. Most of the time when I have to eat I sit around wishing my mom was here to make me something healthy and good, but on the few occasions that I’ve actually cooked for myself, it has definitely resulted in feelings of deep personal satisfaction.
4) Take a nap. The reasoning behind this is that after a 45 minute nap, you will probably study better than if you hadn’t taken a nap.
5) Chick flick and wine evening. This may be sort of a feminine activity, but will work it work for the guys if you substitute chick flick for poker and wine for beer? I think so. The thing is, there are not many things that are more energizing than a relaxed evening with your girlfriends.
6) Go to a fun party. Need I say more?
7) Actually study. The inner nerd in me always feels incredibly self satisfied after a truly focused study session of a few hours. Not to mention it makes the rest of the week way less stressful.
8 ) Listen to good music.
9) And if your desperate and can spare the five euros: go to the bookstore (you know, the big one in the church that smells so good) and buy a thick, glossy fashion magazine. That can make a couple days.
Can we make it the rest of the week? I think so…
My name is Sofia and I'm from a small town in Wisconsin, U.S.A. After spending a year in the Netherlands as an exchange student, I decided I couldn't stay away, and am now in the first year of my Bachelor's degree at the University College Maastricht. I love running, eating chocolate (especially here in Maastricht), traveling, reading, movie nights, and of course going out.