So far, my experience in Maastricht has been really pleasant. I am still in the middle of discovering and enjoying this peaceful city. Leaving my home country for Maastricht is a big decision, but I am glad that I made it. This is the start of ‘something’ new. Although I haven’t known yet where that ‘something’ will lead me to, I’m excited because I am going to do many things for the first time.
I used to like this slogan (I think it’s the slogan of Discovery Channel along time ago, I don’t know if it is still now) which starts with When was the last time you did something for the first time? and ends with Keep discovering! Well, now if someone ask my the same question, I can proudly say ‘Oh, just 5 minutes ago’ or in the worst case ‘Uhm, I think yesterday but… I can totally do some thing for the first time right now!’ So the question is what are the some things that I did for the first time since I moved to Maastricht. Well, uncountable! But some of the most significant will be listed below
- I have been always living with my parents, but now I am living totally on my own, which is actually the best part of studying abroad. This entails a lot of other firsts, like first time living in a student house where the kitchen and toilet are shared and first time cooking all just for myself.
- This is also the first time I’m in Europe! (not just the first time in the Netherlands). And soon I will say something like this is the first time I’m in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain…. Yay! I have such a life ahead.
- Although I know it’s a shame to admitted this, but I have never seen any library like UM library. It’s not that the library has books that I’ve never seen before, it’s not that the building is beautifully built, it’s not that staff is very helpful, but it is the automatic and self-service characteristic of the library. Well, for me it’s such an experience to learn how to transfer money from my bank card to the UM card, how to use the UM card in the copying machine, how to send my files to the printer and get them printed, how to borrow the book myself, etc. And yes, I have never had a student card that has so many functions as the UM card. Typing all of this stuff make me feel like I have spent my whole life in the jungle and missed so many parts of life. But, it’s just … new to me so … I like it.
- I have tried many dishes for the first time like mold cheese, raw pork and many other everyday food which I ate before, but they are different here in Maastricht.
- And you know what, this is my first post =)
Uhm…that’s just it! My list of my first time. I hope that more will be added as my life in Maastricht passes by.
I come from Vietnam and I am a master student majoring in International Business - Strategic Marketing track. I enjoy doing things on my own but always feel happy after spending time with friends.